While translating Ultima VI into German, I started to address the few – some may say: many – story inaccuracies (whereever it made sense and wher it was possible without causing any more confusion 😉)
Alas, I see no reason why not to do the same for the original English version of the game.
The major part of Nitpicks I chose to address are taken from an old Ultima Nitpick Site from Hacki Dragon – still a splendid resource for these kind of things (Thanks, Hacki!).
This version of the patch addresses 22 nitpicks in total:
- Julia acts as if you had never met her before.
- Mariah acts like a total stranger as well.
- Gideon refers to Marney’s Mum as „Elisabeth“. Yet Quenton calls her „Gwen“ in Ultima VII. Quenton should know – he married the girl 😉
- Terri indicates that a celebration took place after the Quest of the Avatar had been solved. She implies that the Avatar himself participated, which contradicts the events at the end of Ultima IV.
- The Book of Prophecies reads: “And the false prophet will cause the underworld to collapse.” -> The Gargoyles consider Britannia to be the underworld!
- Lazeena refers to her husband as „Artagel“
- The book „The First Age of Darkness“ mentions „Britannia“. Yet… there was no Britannia back then
- Lord British doesn’t bother to mention the moonstones being lost
- The Orb of the Moon’s appearance doesn’t match the description from Ultima V as „a small, RED sphere”
- Daver, the bellringer in Britain describes the runes bearing a symbol on one side and a letter on the other. And that the runes probably spell something out if put on a necklace. But why would the Avatar had to consult the Shrines in Ultima IV to get the letters if they were written clearly on the runes themselves?
- When you buy a magic shield in Ultima V, the merchant claims that each of them requires a 100 year ritual to be created (slight hyperbole?), yet in Ultima VI, the armourer Gherick makes you one in the blink of one’s eye.
- Tara is cured from her schizophrenic disorder.
- Caradon mixes up shrines.
- Is it Captain „John“ or Captain „Johne“ who lives in Hythloth? The writing of the Captain’s name is inconsistent. In Ultima V the name was spelled „Johne“, in Ultima VI it is mostly spelled „John“ – only Captain Elad in Buc’s Den refers to him as „Johne“ („….“Captain Johne, that fool… He was captured by gargoyles.“….“). Thanks to Elad, we can at least be sure, that it IS the same person, we are talking about 😉
- In Ultima VI, you are constantly accused of stealing the Codex from the Gargoyles. But you did not! You were sent right back to Earth after consulting it at the end of Ultima IV. It’s the High Council that raised the Codex from the Abyss in the time between Ultima IV and Ultima V.
- What happened to the magic carpet from Ultima V? Shouldn’t one of the companions have it? Even more mysterious: In Ultima VII, the carpet is going to reappear without any explanation at all.
- What happened to the Temple of Virtues in Cove? It was there in Ultima IV and V. Did the Gargoyles destroy it? If yes, then why does nobody mention it?
- In the past, the observatory was integrated into the Lycaeum instead of being a separate building.
- Stelnar Starhelm confuses shrines
- In Ultima 6 you learn that it’s not possible to resurrect a burnt body. However, in Ultima III, there was a spell called “ANJU SERMANI”, which served exactly this purpose.
- Un-arm-ing Zeke (SCNR :-D)
- The Quenton Murder Sidequest is now playable and solvable
Other Bugfixes, that I have addressed with this patch:
- Some correct copy protection answers at Mariah, did not work. They do now 🙂
- Some keywords in Zellivans convo were double, so the correct answers did not show up. They do now 🙂
- Same for Boskin: some double keywords eliminated
- Andrea in Yew now responds when asked about „Lenora“, „Lady“ and „Mayor“. Originally she would have referred you to the folks in the tavern and would only respond to „Chancellor“
- The final „CONGRATULATIONS! Report thy Feat!“ Screen is up to date 😉
|Nitpicker Delight Patch for Ultima VI (1990)|
|Content||All neccessary files to run Ultima VI – „Nitpicker Delight“ version.|